Autumn has to be my favorite season of them all. In the northern hemisphere autumn 2019 starts on Monday September 23rd and will end on Saturday December 21st. There is always so much to do, see and explore, the weather is perfect for just about any activity and the food and beverages seem to taste better. I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorite things to do during the Autumn season.
1. Go for a drive to view the beautiful fall foliage. Try a route you’ve never been before, getting lost can be half of the fun.
2. Apple Picking! I eat an apple a day, but being able to pick your own apples make the apple taste even sweeter.
3. Pic-nic. Grab a basket, load it up with some of your favorite foods, good drinks and a great book, or game to play if going with friends. If it’s cool enough, why not build a small fire and toast some marshmallows.
4. Take a hike! The air is always so crisp and clean in the Autumn, go for a hike or even just a walk and enjoy the fresh air.
5. Hot-air balloon ride. See the foliage from above. Go with a good friend or your special someone, bring few bottles of champagne, don’t forget the blanket so you can snuggle up while enjoying the breathtaking views.
6. Corn Maze. Some people will insist a Hay Maze, but the thought of allergies alone is making me scratch my skin. A corn maze is a wonderful alternative, and still just as fun.
7. Take a boat tour. I know this could be difficult if you’re landlocked, but many places offer fabulous river tours, so you don’t have to be on a coast. Some of my favorite boat rides are the Paris Boat Tour and the Boston to Provincetown Ferry.
8. Pumpkin Patch. Walking through the throngs of pumpkins looking for that ideal one can be the best scavenger hunt. Plus you can reenact It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!
9. Bike Ride. No matter where you live, you can take a bike trip to enjoy the cooler weather. Just please be careful and remember to wear a helmet.
10. Halloween Party. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and if it is yours too throw an awesome party. Give it an inspired theme, decorate, food, drinks and games, such an exciting time.
11. Seasonal Snacks. This has to be the best ideas and one of the easiest. Pumpkin Pies, caramel corn, french onion soup, s’mores cookies, homemade chili, cornbread, caramel apples, Vin Chaud, decadently rich hot chocolate. The list can go on for days. (So can the calories, so proceed with caution).
12. Tour a winery. This doesnt really need rationale, but make sure to get a sober driver.
13. Attend a Fall Festival. These happen all around the world and many cities, towns and villages. Look up your closest one and enjoy the festivities.
14. Octoberfest. Beer and sausages galore, you’ll need a sober driver for this.
15. Gardening. You can plant bulbs and prepare your garden this autumn for a beautiful treat in the spring.
16. Soccer! Watch a soccer game. If you dont live near your favorite professional team, you can still see games of amateur teams around the world. Take a sweater and a thermos of Disaronno.
17. Movies in the park. This is a great way to spend an evening. Hopefully a movie you’ll enjoy will be shown.
18. Take a vacation. It doesn’t have to be a full vacation. Make it an extended weekend, just go to a new place you’ve never been before and experience something new.
19. Visit a Cemetery. I know this might not have been something you thought you would enjoy. Paris has so many gorgeous ancient cemeteries that are also covered in beautiful tombs and sculptures, with the crunching of leaves underfoot. No matter where you live, visit a cemetery in the autumn, and enjoy the silent beauty.
20. Volunteer. Many organizations need help this time of year. Think of a cause that’s near and dear to you and find out how you can help others.
One thought on “Autumn Ideas”